5 Advantages To Choosing Horizontal Directional Drilling

5 Advantages To Choosing Horizontal Directional DrillingHorizontal directional drilling (HDD) has opened the floodgates for homeowners and commercial entities alike who require additional utility installations from sewer, water and power to gas and telecommunications. With access to horizontal directional drilling, it’s possible to install utilities nearly anywhere at a relatively minimal cost and with less disruption to landscaping.

What is directional drilling?

Simply put, directional drilling allows technicians to drill in a horizontal direction without having to dig across an expanse of soil, opening up new possibilities for locating pipes for utilities. In the past, the only option for installing piping was to essentially destroy the landscape, while a large, obtrusive crew and their equipment overtook the property and spent weeks digging trenches for pipe installation. Directional drilling revolutionized this process.

How does horizontal directional drilling work?

The compact drill allows a small crew comprised of one drill and one tracking operator to quickly set up shop. The drill head is electronically wired for tracking, so that the operator can monitor where it’s headed and the pressure it extends. As the drill bores into the ground, a solution made up of bentonite polymer follows it to ensure stability of the hole. Once the drill bit creates an underground, semi-circle arc and exits the ground, a reamer is sent back through to enlarge the hole to accommodate the piping. Lastly, installing the polyethylene piping requires the crew to fuse the lengths together, which is then heated until a seamless connection is made along the entire length of piping.

The advantages of using horizontal drilling include:

• Durability, as the pipes are very strong
  • Quicker installation with less disruption to landscaping
  • Lower installation cost with a smaller crew
  • Flexibility, as the system can be installed nearly anywhere
  • Negligible soil contamination, as the impenetrable pipe connections are lasting

If you require installation of utilities, why not contact Symbiont Service Corp. today and ask to speak to one of our horizontal directional drilling experts. We are the industry leaders in HVAC services, geothermal systems and horizontal directional drilling, helping commercial and residential customers across Florida since the 1980s.

Our goal is to help educate our customers in Englewood, Florida and surrounding areas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).  For more information about horizontal directional drilling and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.

Image courtesy of Shutterstock

Find Michael King on .
Tags: , , , , , ,

Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

6 Comments

1. Roger King
    Posted October 25, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

Hi Mike! Great looking blog – been reading the posts, and wanted to give you a thumbs up! I wish you could expand to the west coast! Hahaha

Say hi to Sandy and Elsa, please…

Cheers!

2. Eugene Dean
    Posted February 18, 2015 at 8:36 am | Permalink

I am really glad that you posted this article. My brother-in-law works on a directional drilling team, and I had no idea what that meant. My wife and I are having dinner with him and my sister next week. He says he mainly works for fiber optic companies, and I now know exactly what he is talking about. Thank you for the information.

3. Stephan Bashkir
    Posted April 27, 2015 at 6:31 pm | Permalink

These are great advantages to choosing directional boring. The lower installation cost with a smaller crew is the one that caught my eye the most. I’m curious how this happens by using this method. I’m not questioning that it does, I just don’t know enough to understand how it works, and I’m looking for more information.

4. Kairi Gainsborough
    Posted April 4, 2016 at 9:13 pm | Permalink

It is really interesting that horizontal drilling actually allows for much quicker installation. I’m sure that it is a lot easier to clean up after as well, because there is less disruption to the landscape. It seems like a good alternative to the typical style of excavation.

5. Justin
    Posted August 30, 2016 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

There’s a company out in Texas that’s doing this. It’s an awesome alternative!

6. jresquival
    Posted February 21, 2017 at 6:59 pm | Permalink

Wow, that’s interesting that HDD can use technology to navigate a drill underground. I bet that’s way better for the environment. I’ll have to see if my city is hiring contractors who use this method; if not I’ll have to bring it up with them